07 Jun Spiced Tomato & Mushroom Dahl
Healthy eating doesn’t have to be bland. Check out this tasty meal from our own chef Erica Drum.
Takes 30 minutes
Makes 6 portions
1 Tbls Olive Oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ Tsp cumin seeds
1 Tsp coriander
200g Cherry tomatoes halved
2 Portobello or a punnet chestnut Mushrooms, chopped in chunks
350g split lentils
900ml Vegetable stock
1 large chili, deseeded and chopped
100g fresh coriander, chopped
50g fresh parsley, chopped
1 lemon (juice & zest)
100g toasted almond flakes
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Once warm add the onion, garlic and chili. Fry this for 5 minutes
- Then add the coriander and cumin seeds and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms next for two or three minutes then the tomatoes and lentils.
- Stir everything together and be sure to season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the boiling vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and cook over a low simmering heat for around 20 minutes.
- Now remove the lid and allow to bubble away, add more water if needs be.
- Stir in the spinach, parsley and half the coriander.
- Mix the yogurt with the lemon juice and zest.
- Serve the Dahl with rice and garnish with lemon yogurt, chopped coriander and toasted almonds.